Saturday, April 14, 2018

Balance - a Loving LEK post

I've been overtaken by this strange phenomenon the past couple of months. What's been happening is that every Wednesday, I wake up and sprint to my email inbox (okay fine! I crack open one eye, roll over in bed and grab my phone, practically the same thing) to see if my new LEK workout has dropped yet. And it has, it always does. It appears every Wednesday in the wee hours while I'm sleeping. It's like the fat dude in the red suit with his reindeer on my roof on Christmas Eve! Somehow he gets the prezzies down the chimney and under the tree. Honestly I don't know how either thing happens - both are sheer sorcery. And every Wednesday (and every Christmas morning) I get such a kick out of it. But that's not the strange phenomenon to which I am referring. The event that's been taking place is that I get super excited for the new workout, but then I don't want to do it! 

Now hang on, hang on, before you get all Judge Judy on my ass, hear me out. I don't want to do it because I've gotten so into the previous week's class, have fallen head over heels in love with the content, that I don't want to stop doing it. And it would be just crazy pants to do two workouts in one day. Believe me, I've thought about it. But I gotta ask... Does that ever happen to any of you? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? No? Just me?

You too? Whew, cool. So wasn't it especially bad this week? I mean to tell you that Lauren's sculpt class for 4/4/18 was so good... did you not just absolutely love these rowing moves?

Look at her face, isn't she just lit up? So great.

It was so thoroughly enjoyable that I didn't want to move on to the new content. So what happened this past Wednesday was what's been happening every Wednesday for a few weeks now - I elected not to do the new class and do the old one ONE MORE TIME. And guess what, guess what, guess what? You can do that with LEK because she keeps her classes up. How rad is that. I know, the kids don't say rad anymore, but I'm bringing back, noble reader. Who's with me?! Down with the government, stick it to the man, power to the people? No? You still in bed this morning too? It's a rainy one here so I guess I'll give you a pass.

In any case, Thursday came around as Thursdays are wont to do, and I gave the new class a go. With some reluctance, I confess, because I didn't want to give up my bands, but lemme tell you something. Miss sassy, classy, little bit bad-assey teacher blew me away with the new week. 

So I thought I'd take this episode to write about the sculpt class that dropped on 4/11 and why I found it so terrific.

Those of you that are new here either to me, or to LEK, lemme catch up up rill quick. I'm being generous when I say I'm over 30 lol. I don't move like I used to and my tank runs out of gas fairly quickly. So I need a workout that is going to energize me in the doing of it, I cannot afford to be depleted when my energy is in such short supply. LEK is that class. Again if you're new - it's not Leck fit, or lekka fit, it's pronounced Elle Eee Kay fit LEKfit. Got it? Good. Head on over to youtube and check out some videos or better yet, just go straight to her On Demand site and sign up for your free week. It's the best thing you're gonna do for yourself this month. Promise.

So when you get to where I am - maybe not entirely over the hill but I can practically see it from here - you lose some things. I mean some things I guess you never lose, and other things you lose to the wrong person, but one thing that you can lose as you age - but thankfully have some control over - is your balance. 

A few years ago, my mom fainted in a soccer stadium while watching my nieces play soccer. She fell straight back onto a concrete floor and ended up with a five inch fracture in her skull. She was very lucky to recover from an injury like that, and one of the things that she had to work really hard on regaining was her balance. I was lucky at the time to be able to fly home to be with her as she transitioned from hospital to home and together we'd stand at the edge of the kitchen counter and she'd practice balancing on one foot then the other. So many elderly people fall and break a hip or ankle or worse, because they weren't able to maintain their balance.

As a former yogi, I would never fail to impress upon my students (and myself) the importance of practicing balance because it's easier to keep than it is to recover. Plus - as it is on the mat, so it is in life. If you're balanced in your practice, you have a better change of being balanced in the world when it seems like things around you are spinning out of control. Or when gossipy, insecure, back-stabby trouble-makers do what they do best - stir up trouble - if you have balance in your workout, you don't get caught up in all that foolish drama. It's an energy-suck, and again, I do not have the energy to spare. So, back to the class.

Much of the leg work this week is done standing (my fave) and the focus is on balance.




Lauren really asks us to harness our balance with these moves, while continuing to remind us not to grip or rely too heavily upon that standing leg. Once we move to the floor on all fours to finish out the leg series, she has created this un-rushed, pointed rhythmic  pace that allows us to really breathe focus into the movement and connect deeply with our bodies in a very meditative way. I found I was able to close my eyes, and by listening to her voice, I could keep up with the flow of the movement and feel every muscle work. I felt like it was not only good for my body, it was good medicine for my spirit as well.

I've taken to referring to her classes as "next level" because she takes everything into account as she works to balance our whole body from week to week. She is so detail oriented, never rushed, never sloppy, never forgetful, to the point that the woman manages to remember week to week whether she started our cool down on the left side of the body or the right and she changes that shit up every single week! 

I think there is something really wrong with starting your movement from the same side every time. That side becomes dominant and you then create imbalance. It's like Lady Lauren (I was feeling like she needed a title) has thought of everything. The devil is in the details, right?

So I'll leave you with that. I'd love to hear what you thought of this week's class, or what your favorite class is and why. I'm not sure I've had a chance to try them all since she started her online workouts a few months before I finally cottoned on to them. Or, if this is your first time transitioning into the work, I'd love to hear how your experience with it was. So please, drop a comment below to lemme know what's going on for you.

Oh and one more thing...

You know how in the cool down, she starts us on our backs and we stretch out our legs and spine, then do an arms-over-head full body stretch before rolling over onto our bellies to stretch out our core? What I wanna know is how the hell does that girl get onto her belly so fast? Lol I feel like I'm just doing the full stretch and she's miraculously rolled over already. It makes me laugh every week.

Enjoy your movement and thanks for tuning in.
Love,
Shan


4 comments:

  1. The first thing I noticed when I started the class was that Lauren was barefoot, and it made me smile because I know someone who loves to workout barefoot... haha
    I really can feel my muscles this morning, they are not painful, but I know that they are there... Loved the class, my first LEK class, loved the standing up balance exercises, the plies and my favorite... the core exercises...I think I see the light on getting rid of that tire around my waist... I even did the extra core exercises that she provides which are the hardest but absolutely wonderful. I'm doing them every day, every single day until the tire disolves... I'm so happy you've introduced me to LEK, I think it will be a great addition to Dancebody.. thank you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalia! Yes, bare feet on ground. Best and only way to workout. I love that you felt the work that you did when you woke up this morning, not pain, but awake.
      Your comment has given me a great idea which I'll share in a post, but you're onto something with her core class that little mini five-minute class packs a punch. So I want to propose a core challenge. Thank you for inspiring me always, no matter what journey I'm on. We've shared such an incredible past few years - seeing each other struggle, succeed, get stressed, and overcome. Love you my friend.
      And I am so happy to share LEK with you and DANCEBODY - these trainers are so brilliant, talented and fun.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. I have been hearing too many things about Lekfit lately and I am really curious about it. Now I am a tammer in a way, I do contuinity workouts , not a loyal devotee. But I like the results so far. I just don’t understand what’s happening in facebook groups, there is too much drama going on. Actually it doesn’t make any sense. It is silly I know it made me a little cold feet about the brand i think, not the method. Even I am not a streamer, i dont effect from workout delays. But that is not cool still. Maybe I can give a chance to Lekfit. It sounds enjoying. Thanks for sharing. Sorry for the loooong comment :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Merakli,
      I think it's great that you do Continuity - I love those Metamorphosis workouts. If you're doing something that you enjoy doing, doesn't feel like a chore and gives you results, I say stick with it.
      I have never been on Facebook, wouldn't even know how to use it so I can't speak to what you may have experienced there. What I can tell you is that I really enjoy doing LEK. It's a form of fitness that I look forward to doing every day, I am enjoying the results in my body and I really like the teacher. But it's a personal choice.
      I have decided to share about it here because I thought it would be fun to connect with other people who are doing it or with people who enjoy physical movement, so we could talk about it. Share insights and tips and have a few laughs.
      If you are unsure about the workout, you can go to Youtube and type in LEKfit and you'll get a small sample of what Lauren's workouts are like to know if you'd like to try them or not.
      Thanks for stopping by!
      xoxo
      Shan

      Delete