Wednesday, August 24, 2016

What happened to summer?

Anyone? Anyone? ... Bueller?

Has your summer slipped by as quickly as mine did? I blinked and August just vanished into thin air. The good news is I'm still here, still hanging in there, following my sugar-free lifestyle, dancing my butt off with Katia and doing the occasional tone up with Tracy and I feel good. Great actually. For the first time since I hit midlife, I feel balanced and in control. Touch wood.

So what is midlife? 

Midlife is the halfway point (by my definition) where you're no longer in angst and confusion about who you are in the world. It's a time where you can really step into your own shoes and feel comfy walking a mile or twenty in them, you can just be unapologetically you! For further information, look to the right of this post and see Shamandment #1, and insert your own name.

Do you have to have a crisis to get here? 

I don't think so, not if you accept yourself fully and have lived a life that's true to who you really are. Unless you've spent the majority of your life faking it or trying to fulfil some ridiculous (real or imagined) image of who you think you're supposed to be, then yeah maybe a crisis is in order. 

Is it dark and terrible?

All depends on how you look at it. With a sense of humour no, it's kind of fun and sometimes even hilarious. Irksome at other times sure, like when you're getting a pedicure and the girl who looks to be about 12 years old (when did everyone start looking so young?) asks if you'd like a complimentary toe wax and you think "Christ, my eye sight must be shot, how did I miss the soul patch on my big toe?" But mostly it's cool. These are our "Carlsberg years," you know the ones, the years where we're still happenin' but we're a little wiser and more sophisticated, still too young to be considered the "Golden years." Thank the lord!

Anyway.

I'll be honest when I tell you that 2016 has really put me through the wringer, pushed every button, brought up all my shit, forced me to look at the deep dark corners, examine my triggers and crutches and go to's when I'd rather not deal, and has forced me to deal, to surrender, to hand my crap over to a higher power, and to trim away all the things (sugar, people, thoughts) that are not feeding my soul. I've become so much closer to some amazing people, y'all know who you are, been inspired by new folks doing innovative things and have been granted opportunities that I am gonna rock the hell out of over this last quarter. 

Don't know about you, but for me it's feeling like a "back to school" event. I wanna run out and get some shiny new shows and a brand new back pack for my clean slate, fresh start, happy autumn season that I can feel is right around the corner. And you know me, whenever I want a fresh start I tend to create something new. So I've done just that. I have created a new IG PAGE that I plan to stuff chalk full of beautiful nature shots, trendy urban discoveries, and new job/work related fun stuff. Can't wait to share it all with you, so hope to see you there!

Until then here is just a small taste of the beauty I was blessed to be surrounded by for the past two weeks.


Big hugs and lots of love,
Shan




6 comments:

  1. Welcome back! I love that sentence about how 2016 has been treating you "...pushed every button, brought up all my shit". It's exactly what happened to me. I just moved back to Canada from Germany (best decision ever) and had to get a new apartment, new job, new everything. Phew...

    Unlike you, I feel so drained and lost. Need to start exercising again and things should improve.

    Meeting you was so awesome, too bad I was very tired and started rambling. You are even more beautiful in person (on the outside and inside).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes a clean slate is the best medicine and yes change and upheaval will be exhausting but once you find your rhythm, you may find that 2016 turns out to be your best year yet. That's what I'm hoping for.
      You did not ramble at all! You were lovely. I'll look forward to meeting up properly.
      xoxo

      Delete
  2. You've just described my 2016. To say it has been challenging is an understatement. I've experienced more change in the last few months than I ever hope to have again. Finally in a place where things are returning to a more normal existence.The last several months have been pretty miserable. Hoping, like you, this last quarter of the year will be filled with hope, possibility and a few unexpected good things.
    Planning to catch up on IG and your blog this week to see what I've missed. :)
    Starting streaming with Katia tomorrow again.I liked it when it first came out, but life got so crazy I stopped. I am hopeful I will enjoy it and add some cardio back to my life. IT is a good sign that you like it since we both feel the same about cardio! My two left feet seem to follow it better than TA dance cardio. Ha!
    It was good to read your positive spin on life! I have always been a firm believer in use of humor to deal with most all things. Glad the sugar is under control too!
    xoxo,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kelly,
      I am sorry to hear that but I always think that the curve balls life throws us make us more grateful for our ability to bounce back. We learn lessons along the way and things always seem brighter on the other side.
      Lets really make this last quarter of the year something special to remember!

      Delete
  3. I think it's amazing that within a few short paragraphs you hit on that you're feeling balanced and control right along side (I touched wood for you btw) and that 2016 smacked you sure upside the head. Funny how that works sometimes.

    The past few years I, for sure, sort of coast on spiritual gas. I do the work, take the time, try to be present, breathe, study etc. Things are copacetic and fun and cool. And then out of the blue my check engine light comes on. (My check engine light is usually pretty apparent to me...insomnia (when my mind over loads), or emotional numbness (I tend to feel my feelings, which I think sounds stupid now that I'm typing it, but it's the only way that I can think to describe it...sometimes when things get heavy I just feel nothing). And I think, like you said, I'm hopefully becoming a little wiser a baby step at a time, to just deal with it now rather than just push it all down, pretend that I'm cool, and then melt down at a really inappropriate time like at the grocery store or a cocktail party. ;)

    Even when I feel like I am, I know I'm not the only one. People come in different flavors and styles, but it seems impossible to escape this life without wading through muck now and again. All of us. The the muck blows and it's super hard to get out of and sometimes it stains your clothes and hangs around a bit more than it should. But it's a teacher too. Okay, I have a cold and I'm realizing that I might be rambly-rambleson.

    I'm so glad your still dancing...Have you learned Girls/All the Way Up? If not, I'll teach you. It's so fun.

    Love to you girl,
    myla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Myla,
      Have not learned any new dances lately as things have been a whirlwind with family and inlaws and prepping for a super busy fall schedule. But I am looking forward to getting busier and the weather getting cooler - I need a change of season and a change of pace, enough muck already right? Time to come through the other side and see how strong we are.
      Hope that cold leaves you soon.

      Delete